Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 -1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 quarts strawberries, hulled, sliced and sweetened to taste
- 1 cup (8 ounces) whipped cream, whipped with 1 TBSP confectioner sugar
- Stir together flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut butter into flour with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle water a little at a time over flour mixture, stirring with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured board to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 16 large circles with a cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet and prick with a fork. Chill thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until pastry begins to brown.
- Serve rounds topped with half of strawberries. Place another pastry round on top of strawberries. Top with remaining strawberries and whipped cream.
Yield: 8 servings