Spicy Cauliflower Tacos
- 1/2 head of green cabbage (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 small carrot
- 3 TBSP lime juice
- 2 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1 tsp + 1 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 head cauliflower (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1-1/2 TBSP hot sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 6 corn tortillas
- tomato salsa
- Cut the cabbage into thin strips and no longer than 2 inches. Chop the carrot into thin match sticks of the same length.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lime juice, vinegar, one teaspoon olive oil and salt. Add the dressing and toss well. Fold in the cilantro.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Chop the cauliflower in florets no bigger than a quarter. In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the beer, stock, lime juice, soy sauce, hot sauce and garlic. Add the cauliflower and simmer for about 90 seconds. Drain.
- In a large bowl, toss the spices, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil together. Add the cauliflower and onion and stir to coat. Place on a jelly roll pan in a single layer and bake until browned, stirring halfway, about 20 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 1 minute and then add cauliflower filling, slaw, and top with salsa. Serve immediately.
Yield: 2-3 servings